All images and text copyright © to Goldings Old Boys reunion members

Page Compiled February 2019

Jimmy James

Interviewed by Ruth Stratton, at Hertford Museum 2006

Recalling his time at Goldings

Jimmy: My name is Jimmy James. I was born in 1931 in Homerton Hospital
in London, to a lady called Daisy James, who was a widow. Because of her condition of health I was put straight into the care of an aged aunt.
And that didn’t last too long, as she felt that she couldn’t cope so she applied to Dr. Barnardo’s to take me in. And I was taken and immediately
placed in foster care with parents in Cambridgeshire where I stayed for 12 years. I was then collected by a travelling matron with 7 other Barnardo
boys from East Anglia and taken to Woodford Bridge, near London, which was a Barnardo home. I spent the first day there cleaning out the
swimming pool. It was the on swimming pool I’d been in, and I spent the first day cleaning it. The second day I went to Stepney Causeway,
which was the Barnard Headquarters, and readmitted, and the next day the 8 of us were placed in the school lorry and taken to Goldings.
That was the last day of August 1945.
To be transported, I suppose from a little backwood in Cambridgeshire, the village was called Bottisham, with very age foster parents –I’d
had a very quiet upbringing, I suppose, and I was very introvert –and going from that sort of existence to being in the middle of 200 boys, age
range sort of 14-18,was a bit traumatic, to say the least. But it didn’t bother me too much; after a few weeks I soon settled in and discovered what
Goldings was all about.
Jimmy: Goldings was the place that was taken over by Barnardo’s in 1922 when it was left to them to be used as a training establishment, and this
it became. It was called “The William Baker Technical School The mansion where we lived is still there, and it’s just north Hertford, on the way to
Stevenage, just before the village Waterford, on the left-hand side of the road. And now that it’s been developed you can see through the woods, and
you can actually see Goldings from the road. The trades that it taught were printing; sheet metalwork; horticulture; boot and shoemaking and repairing;
and carpentry and cabinet-making. I’d been sent to Goldings to become cabinet-maker, and on arrival, after I’d settled in, I didn’t know anything
about the print-trade, so I decided that I would like to see what it was about, and I thought, well, if I go in the print-trade, and I there for two or three
months, and I don’t like it, I can then revert carpentry or cabinet-making after that. So I went in to print, and after three months I still wanted to be a
cabinet-maker so I went to the authorities and asked if I could transfer back to woodwork, and they said, “No, you’re doing very well where you are.
We want you to stay.” So, for all my working life I’ve been a reluctant printer who wanted to be a cabinet-maker (LAUGHS)Although, I must say
I’ve enjoyed working in the printing-trade.
Goldings provided you with, apart from the trades; it provided you with all the sports that were going, really. So if you got involved with everything
at Goldings you were going to have a good time there. really good time. They provided the football, and everything we done inter-House –you had
six Houses named after famous people or places, and every game you played was a competition between one House or another, so it was very
competitive and very keenly contested. In the winter-time we had a half day on Wednesdays when we played inter-house football, and we had
enough pitches to play like there was six houses, and you could play three matches trouble –you’d got three pitches. So we used to have football,
and the summer we used to play our inter-House cricket matches in the evenings, so we didn’t get a half-day off in the week. We did athletics and
had an Athletics Day, inter-House athletics; and I’ve still have medal from the last year I was there and I won the Victor Ludorum.
To win the Victor Ludorum you had to enter just about everything and get points for everything. And for that we got a small silver medal, which
I’ve still got somewhere. Table-tennis as well; we r teams in the local table-tennis league and the school football team played in the local youth
leagues,U-18s and U-16s. So I Was involved with that.
Socially, they had drawing-lessons at the school, and taught the boys to dance, if they wanted to learn to dance, and that was sometimes a problem
with getting partners, so the boys had to dance with each other. The Dining Hall Rags which were the concerts used to have once a fortnight in the
dining hall, where they push the tables to one end to make a stage and all the forms were set out so the audience could sit in, and it was compulsory
viewing every body had to attend. Staff used to come in as well, and the boys used to put on small plays or they used to sing or whatever they fancy
they could do. There were money prizes: as much as 2/6 if you won (LAUGHS) and damned us with only 6d if you were last. But it gave good
outlet for boys to show off, if you like, in front of the rest of the school.
Evening classes: in the winter we had to attend an evening class and there were various of those. I took up leather-work with the boot-maker
instructor; making wallets and purses and things like that learnt to hand sew and all the rest of it.
I suppose the biggest event of the year at Goldings was when Wimbledon came round, because we supplied the ball boys for the All-England Lawn
Tennis Championships every year from 1946 which was the 1stcompetition after the War, and I went to 4 Wimbledon’s as a ball-boy, and I had 3
years on Centre Court, which was some experience.
Ruth: So just 4 years from 1946? Was it consecutive?
Jimmy: '46 to '49, yeah.
Ruth: So who was playing then?
Jimmy: Yvon Petra won the men’s single the first year. He beat Jack Kramer in the Final, the American; Petra was a Frenchman, of course
Kramer won it the next year, and after he won it he then went professional and formed what they called the Professional Ten Circus, and they went all
over the world. There was eight of the
they went all over the world playing tournaments, just these 8 players, for quite some time, until professionalism really took over in the Tennis world.
The next winner was Falkenburg, the big, tall crew-cut American, Bob Falkenburg, and he was the first man with the big, big service if you like –that
I remember. And after that it was Ted Schroeder.
The women? I don’t remember very well, funnily enough. I remember “Gorgeous” Gussie Moran with the frilly-knickers, she caused a real sensation
at Wimbledon, she did. And Diane Hart, of course. Diane Hart was a polio victim as a child and took up tennis to strengthen her legs, and she played
at Wimbledon –she was brilliant.
Don’t think she ever won Wimbledon. And of course when we used to do this ball-boying we were bussed up there every day and bussed back at night.
And when eventually I went on the staff at Goldings we used to get a day up there a year, to take the ball boys. And that’s when Joan first became
interested in tennis –my wife. I used to take her up there, sit over on centre court, and forget she was there for the rest of the day. She loved it. But,
as I say, that was about the biggest event.
Ruth: So you were there during the War, were you, Jim?
Jimmy: No, just at the end. The War had just finished towards the end of August. Victory in Japan hadn’t been declared, I don’t think. But in Europe
it had.
Jimmy: An organisation like that, of course you must have a certain amount of discipline, and discipline was quite strict. Everything we did, we did
to bugle calls. There was a bugle call for everything: for getting up in the morning; for going to bed at night; if they were calling a special swimming
parade there was a special bugle call for that, and so on.
We had, like in the Army they have, a system of NCOs –we had a system of prefects, and House captains etc. So each of the six Houses had four
prefects, the house captain, and at the top of the list you had a school captain, or head boy, whatever you like to call him.
And we virtually controlled discipline in the school. All the parades – we ran the parades. The prefects were in charge of their own House on the
parade-ground, and nearly everything we did we paraded for.
We even paraded for meals; we didn’t go straight in. I mean, when the dining hall bugle went we fell-in on parade and then we filed in a House at a
time, and if there was too much noise as we went in we were kicked out again, until we went in properly –that didn’t happen too often, as you can
imagine, everyone was hungry and they wanted to get on with it.
But personally, I was made a prefect by the time I was 16, and then by the time I was 17 I was my House captain; and for the last 9 months I was at
Goldings I was a school captain, and virtually running everything. I used to organize all the parades. We had staff in the background, but they didn’t
interfere providing everything was alright. So, I felt that I’d made a success of Goldings, if you like, or they’d made a success of me, because I was
completely turned round in the 4 years I was there: from being a wimp, to someone who could assert a certain amount of authority, and get on with
Ruth: So if you could just describe for me the building, and the interior of the rooms, from as much as you can remember?
Jimmy: Bear in mind where I came from, we lived in a two up/two down thatched cottage, and when I first got to Goldings there was this huge
mansion I’d never seen the like. A very imposing building from the outside. Inside, first impression, I suppose, was one of awe, because of the size
of everything. The place was old, and it was built obviously by craftsmen, and all the big rooms and halls, like the staff dining hall, and the staff
lounge and all the rest of it, were wood-panelled walls – I’d never seen anything like that before. The stairway from the staff lounge up to the
Headmaster’s quarters was at least about 8ft wide, and all wooden, and all polished wood And that was all done on hands-and-knees by the boys.
The dormitories that we slept in, if you bear in mind there was 200 of us, we were divided into six houses: there was quite a number of boys in each
house and there were some boys that were bigger than others so some of the rooms you’ve got 30 beds in. I mean obviously huge high ceilings in a
place like that, and you’ve got 30 beds in there and the only room between the beds was an 18in x 18in cabinet which was no more than 2 foot high,
and that was where you kept your belongings. No doors on the front open We had very little theft from those lockers –if anything went missing there
was a parade, and everybody’s locker was searched, so we had very little trouble in that respect.
Ruth: What about your clothes? Did you not have anywhere to hang your clothes?
Jimmy: No. Folded up.
Ruth: And put in the cabinet?
Jimmy:Yeah, or on the top. We didn’t have of lot of clothes (LAUGHS). Only what we were walking about in, really. I can’t remember where we
used to hang, or put, our Sunday clothes. We wore shorts all the time. We had long greys for best, and blazers or sports-jacket, and I can’t remember
where we used to hang them, but one of my biggest memories is the laundry change –I think that was a Thursday or something like that, and we used
to parade for that; we paraded on the parade ground, then we were sent up to our dormitories, having been told what was for laundry change: like
socks, underpants, vests; and we changed them whether you needed to or not once a week
(LAUGHS) You can imagine the state we were in. The
passageway from the main hall, it was a stone passageway, right down to the dining-hall and kitchen; and all along there were great big wicker-baskets
with a member of staff at each basket with a number pad; they used to have these pads with numbers printed on them from 1 to 250,300, and as you
dropped your socks in the basket you gave your number and it was crossed off. That’s how they checked that everybody had done what they should
do, because you all had a number and that was on every item of clothing you had, so you did get the same pyjamas, and whatever, because they’ve
got your number. We had a wonderful matron there who used to organize all that when I was there, and she knew everybody’s number. She was
brilliant. And everything used to be pigeon-holed so you worked down the passageway and you’d drop in everything you got to drop in, in whatever
basket, and then you went into her room where all these pigeon-holes were, and you went to your one, whatever it was, mine was 130 –I went to my
pigeon-hole, took my bundle out, and everything was clean and back up to my dormitory, and get dressed again. But that was some change: linen for
200 boys all in one hit: quite an achievement, really. They had it well-organised, put it that way. The Boys Dining Hall was an attachment to the
building, really; it wasn’t part of the main mansion, it had been, but the rest of the building was as it originally was. The dining-room had a glass
roof too, they used to have to paint that with something in the summer because it got so hot in there –you’d sit in there and cook. Obviously there
were hatchways from that, that was built-on to the kitchens so the food used to come out through the hatches… the prefects used to get the food
from the hatch, then they used to be responsible for cutting it up and serving it down the table; you had about 16 on a table –that was the way food
was issued. The food was good…
Jimmy: Cricket was the sport for me. I played…the first year I got there was obviously August so it was too late to do anything that season. But I
did manage to get inas a scorer, doing the scoring, because I was hat interested in the game. So I was there every Saturday, and at hat stage Goldings
ran two cricket teams on a Saturday, generally half staff and made up with boys, each one called A and B, no particular strength; depending on who
they were playing, they would strengthen the side, or if they were playing someone a bit weaker hey would have a weaker side, and balance it up
that way, so it didn’t matter who you were playing for, A or B, it didn’t mean anything –you were just out for a game of cricket… I mean, I play
bowls now, and I love dressing up in whites; going out on the Green on a Saturday; everybody’s dressed the same; uniform, and I like it. I think it’s
great. I like cricket because I could go to the Sports store after lunch on a Saturday at Goldings and I would be issued with a pair of white boots, white
socks, white shirt and white trousers, and I could go off to the dormitory, I could get changed, and then I was down with he cricketers, and it was
another world. And I used to look forward to hat tremendously; so much so that when I was in the Forces, I was stationed near Cambridgeshire, I used
to hitchhike back every Saturday to play cricket for Goldings. And I played cricket for Goldings right up until they closed in 1967. I was captain for
about he last 5/6 years, and ran the cricket… I was very disappointed when we lost that cricket pitch up there because of the closure. I finished up
playing at the Brewery (LAUGHS) till I couldn’t run anymore. Yes, cricket was my favourite. Football I played, table-tennis I played; I used to
enjoy that because it used to get us out for an
evening; we didn’t get out at the evenings much at Goldings. We were allowed out on Saturdays, and
we were allowed out on Sundays, but we had to parade in the clothes we were going out in, and be inspected before we were allowed out –you
couldn’t just go out. And coming back to he discipline, where we were before, if you did something wrong and you were disciplined, there were
various forms of punishment, because the cane was still being used in those days, and you could easily be allocated six of the best. For instance,
if you were caught smoking –you weren’t allowed to smoke.
Jimmy: Smoking? You were allowed to smoke if you were a prefect, which I had cause to have words with the Headmaster about, after I’d left the
school –but that’s another story. As soon as I was given a blue shirt, which indicated you were a prefect or a boy, everyone else wore grey shirts –if
you were a prefect you wore a blue one and you were allowed to smoke. And what did I do? The first-I’d never smoked in my life, and as soon as
I was made a prefect I went up to the office and bought 10 fags, and I started smoking regrettably. And I smoked or years.
Ruth: Really!
Jimmy: Yeah, smoked for years. Don’t smoke now; haven’t smoked for years. But that was a terrible thing, I think. But if you were caught smoking
obviously you had all your tobacco or cigarettes confiscated; you had six of the best; then your pocket money was reduced to sixpence a month. I
mean, pocket money wasn’t great anyway, but to have it reduced to sixpence a month, you were getting nowhere.
Ruth: What about Christmastime? What kind of things did you do at Christmas?
Jimmy: I didn’t, I went home to my foster parents.
Ruth: Oh, you did?
Jimmy: Yes, I also missed out on summer holidays there because the whole school moved to Dimchurch in the summer holidays and I used to go
home to my foster parents. They couldn’t afford to have me there, really, and I used to work on the farm where I used to work as a boy before I
went to Goldings. I used to go work for the Farmer and then go and pay them the money so I could stay for the summer holidays.
But, I never regretted any of it. I used to enjoy working on the Farm… I mean, they were all old fellas working on the Farm, because the youngsters
were all away at war. And I used to enjoy working with hem; and they could tell you allsorts of stories from sort of Victorian times, when you were
working with them. And of course, we were working with horses, that was when what I call ‘farming’ was farming, f you like! And the corn was
cut with a binder, and before the binder went in somebody went in and cut all the way round the field with a scythe, so the tractor didn’t run over it
and squash it down. And now of course, the combine harvesters go straight in and they’re cutting as soon as they get in, so they don’t have to run
over anything. And I’ve worked behind a man using a scythe going round the field, and I used to gather all the corn up and make it into sheaves
behind him as we went round. I liked farm work. If I had had the choice if my foster parents had been able, and well enough to sort of kept me on
I would’ve liked to have stayed and gone to work on a farm I was a simple lad then
(LAUGHS) I didn’t have many ambitions.
Ruth: Can you remember what your friends’ names were? People in particular you remember?
Jimmy: What, from Goldings?
Ruth: Hmm.
Jimmy:… it’s a job to say really… I didn’t have any real close, what I would call close mates… that I would knock about with. I was a good mixer,
and I would get involved with the footballers, and you'd get involved with the cricketers, and you’d get involved as groups, don't you?... no, I can’t
say that I had any close mates. I mean I remember people who were there with me. We had some Spanish lads there- their
parents were obviously trying to get them away from the war; and they’d sent them over and were paying Barnardo's to look after them. I remember
those lads.
Ruth: Did they speak English?
Jimmy: Yes, they did. I can remember there was one in the house I was in: bloke called (unintelligible)–we never called each other Christian names;
we always called each other by surnames: everyone was called by their surname there. If a bloke was name clark: if there was two Clarks, you then
had to put your number on the end. I can remember Clark 32, but I couldn’t tell you who the other clark was There must have been another one,
otherwise he wouldn’t have had that 32 tagged on the end of this name. Silly things like that really.
Ruth: So the people you still keep in touch with, did they generally stay in Hertford or did a lot of the boys migrate else
Jimmy: It’s surprising how many there are that live around Hertford. There's two or three on this estate, as it happen. that live down the town,
and we still have a Reunion every year. We had a hundred people sit down for an evening meal at the Reunion last year. It was the first Saturday
in October and we had it at St John’s Hall last year, and it went very well. They come for the day, a lot of them come for the day, and we have all
frames up with pictures on: photographs from the past, dozens of them. I mean, Im not the eldest who turned up there, by any means. some of the
are older than I am, who turn up at our reunions, who were at Goldings before me. But a lot of them who come now are from the sort of '60s, and
we often sit and think about how long it will go on for, because eventually it will die out. Because we’ll all die off, and there wont be any more
Goldings old-boys around. But we’ve got a chap now who's very into it; and they’ve got a website, and put all sorts of things on there, and he’s
very keen, and spends a lot of money too, with the reunion. comes down from up North and does a lot of work. We've got another one this year
who’s offered to pay for the Hall, which is you know a great offer, really. I mean, you don’t get Halls for nothing these days.
I think they want 175 quid for the Hall this year. Mind you, we have it all day, all and all evening, so it’s not bad.
Ruth:What about the Houses? You said one of them was Somerset House. Were they all named after places in the country?
Jimmy:Places or people. There was Somerset; Cairns, Lord Cairns; Aberdeen –I’m not sure whether there was a person named Aberdeen, or
whether that’s Aberdeen, Scotland, or whatever. Mount Steven was the House I was in. Mount Steven. Buxton, that’s Lord Buxton, again, I think;
and McCall were the six Houses… but then, see, they changed after that, because they then started intermediate and seniors, so they had other
Houses or-I don’t know how they did… but, another thing I didn’t mention in the Sports, was inter- House boxing. We used to have inter-House
boxing. And that was very well organised: everyone was weighed so you weren’t fighting someone 4 stone heavier than you were. So you were
all on an even par. And the bloke who organised that, when I was there, was a man named Joe Patch, who was a very, very strong disciplinarian,
and could at times be very brutal, but there you go, it’s all part of that. But funnily enough, as hard as he was, if you went back for the weekend
he was the first bloke you looked for. Strange that.
Ruth:What time did they used to put you to bed at night? What time were you expected to go?
Jimmy: You were in bed, and lights out, at 9 o’clock.
Ruth: 9 o’clock? Gosh! So what time did your day start?
Jimmy: Seven. Reveille at seven, and then between 7 and 8 you cleaned the dormitories; and believe me, they were clean. That was
all polished wood: hands-and-knees job again. You had one, or two boys doing the bed-spaces –the spaces between the beds –polishing
there. And then your big area in the middle, you’d have half a dozen blokes lined up shoulder-to-shoulder on their knees, with a cloth,
and the Prefect, “Rubbers to the left!” Everybody went, and he’d say “Rub!”, and you’d do so many on that board, and then you’d move
down and do so many on the next board. And the place shone. I’d dread to think what would happen if that place ever goes up in flames,
because every part of those floors are impregnated with Ronuk (?) polish. I mean, it must have soaked right through, in the end. But
that’s how we used to clean…
Ruth: What was reveille?
Jimmy: Chillup? Reveille. Get up in the morning! That’s an Army bugle call, reveille. That’s what they play at the Cenotaph, innit? Reveille?
They play reveille after they play Last Post, don’t they? They play Last Post and all the flags come down, and then they whip them up again and
that’s reveille
Ruth: And so what time did your lessons start?
Jimmy: I’m just trying to go through the day, wasn’t I? That hour till breakfast,
8 o’clock, breakfast at 8. And then after breakfast we were all in the dining-hall and the Headmaster came in and said “Good morning” to
everybody, and sort of gave out the day’s notices, if there were any to give out; and promoted any boys –from boys to Prefects, or whatever he
wanted to do, was done at breakfast, or at assembly, and we always used to have prayers and a hymn at assembly. And then we were off to work a
t 9, in the workshop, and it was just like going to work.
Ruth: So, it wasn’t like lessons?
Jimmy: No, no. No, you were actually producing. Producing print for Barnardo’s: we had various magazines, and we used to do an enormous
amount of posters and handbills, and tickets and things for events that were going on all over the country. Barnardo’s helpers people used to
send in an order for so many tickets for an event, and we used to print them all and send them off. That was in the print. I mean, the boot and
shoe-makers, and the boot repairs they were doing all our shoes anyway. They did staff shoes, and they made shoes. When I went back to work
there I bought two pairs of shoes that lasted me years! Hand-made shoes –cost a fortune anywhere else. But I got them there. And then, sort of
had your lunch 12 o’clock, and then back to work in the afternoon. I don’t know whether it was 4 or half past 4, and then tea was at 5, and then
the time was your own, unless you were in evening-classes. Thursdays was cinema night. We used to have cinema in the gymnasium. We only
had one projector, so we used to see a reel and then it stopped, and we sort of sat there with the lights-up while they changed the reel, and then
the next reel. We used to get some decent films on a Thursday night. I can remember one of the members of staff, she was a concert pianist, and
she used to perform with ENSA, the entertainment group that was very much in vogue during the War; and they used to go round various villages
and places giving concerts in aid of the War, collecting money for the War Effort. And she was a brilliant pianist, and she used to run musical
appreciation evenings.
There weren’t many of us that went, but some of us used to go; because I like any type of music that’s not modern. I don’t like Pop and that, but
I do like any other sort of Classical stuff, and Light Classics, and that sort of thing; and Musicals –songs from the Musicals, I like that. But she
used to play the piano for us, and it was nice to just sit there and relax for an hour, which you didn’t get a chance to do in a place with 200 boys in.
Ruth: Yeah, I can imagine.
Jimmy: When I’d done my National Service and came back to Goldings – while I was in there they invited me back to finish my apprenticeship,
because during that time that I was in there they came to an agreement with the Trade Unions that they could then do full-apprenticeships at Goldings.
Before that they only did a certain number of years and then you went to a company as an improver; not as fully-fledged journeyman or printer;
which was a big step, really. So they invited me back to finish my time which I wouldn’t have done. I would’ve stayed in the Air Force if that hadn’t
happened. But anyway, I came back and I finished my time until I was 21, and then I started work at the Cheshunt Press, at Flamstead End in
Cheshunt. After a couple of years they went broke, and gave us all the sack. There was no such thing as redundancy in those days. So I came to
the Mercury, and I did 10 years on the Mercury as a type-setter, when it was in Maidenhead Street. I then saw an advertisement in The Mercury
for an instructor in composing at Goldings. So I thought, I don’t know, that’d be good, so I applied for the job, and I got it. And I stayed with
them for 27 years.
Ruth: So you were there man and boy, really?
Jimmy: Absolutely, yeah. I did up until Goldings closed in '67, so after 4 years I was made redundant again, but then the print-workers got together
and went to Barnardo’s and said, “Look, this is what you’re losing. All your print, and everything, you’re going to have to have them done
commercially, and all the rest of it. But if you keep us going; provide us with an establishment where we can run a print-school, we can still train
boys. Give them a full-apprenticeship.” And so they agreed, and the Barnardo school of Print was formed at Mead Lane in Hertford… and all since
those days I was the first, when I first came out of the Air Force they asked me to be-they wanted to form a Goldings old boys association, locally,
which would involve there apprentices who were staying on till they were 21, and give them something to hand on to socially. So we formed the
Goldings Old Boys Association, and I became the first Secretary. And we ran a football team in the McMullen –it wasn’t the McMullen then, but
it was the Hertford and District League –we ran a football team in there. We ran table-tennis teams in the local table-tennis league; and we ran
snooker and billiards teams in the snooker and billiards league which was then going on in Hertford. That went on for some years.
I was a Treasurer of the St. Andrews PTA, up here on Sele Farm Estate for a while. I did 16 years as the Referee Secretary on the Hertford and
District League, because I’d taken up refereeing and the Referee’s Secretary was moving on so they asked me to go on the Committee to become
specifically the Referee Secretary, so I took that on and I was appointing referees to all the matches every Saturday. I then did 4 years as a Social
Secretary on the Hertford and District League, and I did 4 years as Chairman. And then I realised that my heart and soul wasn’t in to Football anymore,
because of the way it was going, so I packed it in altogether, and I don’t have anything to do with Football at all now. I was a School Governor at the
St. Andrews JMI school up here on the estate for a number of years. I was on the Committee of the National Council of Old-Boys and Girls at
Barkingside for 10, 12 years. I was on the one, and that was the one that we fought for access to records with Barnardo’s and the Government, and
we achieved that access to records; so that’s how I know so much about myself now. I didn’t know anything about myself until that happened.
I’ve been the Secretary Treasurer of the East Herts Bowls League for the last 14 years, since I packed up the Football. I’m also involved with the
Talking Newspaper, which records the Mercury on Friday for blind people. I read on that. I was married in '53, had two children, and I’ve got four
grandchildren –six grandchildren: 4 boys and 2 girls. And I own my own house. As far as I’m concerned, I’m a Barnardo’s success